For the third year running Doyle Sails New Zealand is running its junior scholarship programme, with these coveted awards handed out at the recent 2016 Optimist Nationals. Hosted at Kohimarama Yacht Club, Doyle Sails NZ was a major sponsor of this event and it was great to see so many Doyle-powered Opti's in the fleet. Supporting up and coming sailors is a top priority for the Doyle team and we love partnering with events like the Nationals and seeing so many young sailors out on the water.
As in previous years the Scholarships were open to NZ-based sailors and were presented to Top female sailor Green Fleet and Top Age 13 in the Open Fleet.
Congratulations to our winners:
Top Female Sailor - Green Fleet
Top Age 13 Open Fleet
Additional Open Fleet Scholarship
An additional scholarship was presented to Will Hadfield, second overall in the Top Age 13 Open Fleet and winner of the recent South Island Optimist Nationals.
We are looking forward to working with our three winners over the coming year. The Scholarship pack includes:
- Doyle Optimist sail (value $625 + GST)
- Time with and mentorship from Andrew Brown, Doyle Sails NZ One Design Manager.
- Pimp My Opti session: set up session and tuning and on water coaching session with Andrew Brown.
- A tour of the Doyle Sails NZ loft and Stratis plant and work experience. Meeting the Doyle team and learning about a career in sailing and sail making.
- Doyle Sails bag and gear.
A big thank you to our outgoing scholarship holders, Charlie Loughran, Campbell Stanton, Francesco Kayrouz and Henry Wilson. We look forward to continuing to work with them and watching their sailing careers progress.